Friday, November 29, 2013

To Roleplay Or Not

I have been toying with the idea of roleplaying Vargas during my play through.  I have done so somewhat. I made sure to buy him a meal for lunch and dinner on his first day in Skyrim. But how far do I take the roleplaying?

I have read several posts from forums and blogs about the subject of roleplaying in Skyrim. Some suggest that you limit the amount of gear you can carry to something more realistic.
  • Don't use armor pulled off of dead enemies.  (Vargas doesn't wear armor anyways.)
  • Limit the number of items you can carry.  IE 5 potions, 5 scrolls.  (That seems like a headache to keep track of)
  • Eat and sleep with your character.  (I can do that, but there is nothing in the game forcing me to do it.)
  • Use the wait function when you create potions, smith weapons, or enchant items.  (Easy to do, but who wants to spend the game waiting?)
  • Don't use the fast travel option.  (I have tried this before.  It gets boring running around everywhere.  Eventually, I end up using the fast travel.)
I have tried roleplaying characters before in Skyrim.  It seemed to me that the more rules I put on roleplaying the less time I spent actually playing the game and doing quests.  I also lost interest after a few levels.  It's not that I think roleplaying is bad.  (I'm an old school D&D roleplayer.)  I just have a hard time incorporating it into a video game.

I have decided that some roleplay is easy to do.  Vargas will eat and sleep.  And Vargas will never wear any armor from dead people. Vargas will never wear any armor at all.  I think that and keeping up with this blog is probably roleplay enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment